Subject: Re: [Leica] Obtaining Color Prints
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 00:33:53 -0400

Bud Cook wrote:

Do you have any knowledge of how a quite good scanner attached to a PC
would
compare with having Kodak do the scan?
<<<

Nope.  It's not Kodak doing the scan, it's a custom lab using the Kodak
PhotoCD format (and maybe some Kodak proprietary equipment?).  Caution:
don't confuse PhotoCD with the consumer-grade PictureCD that Kodak is now
promoting.

I've had some scans I have not been satisfied with; most of these I
shouldn't have ordered a scan for anyway, for example no highlight detail
in the chrome, or various bird parts merging with the background.  To date,
only 1 scan has been poor quality, and the lab re-scanned it at no charge.

I figured that the quaility of scanner used to make the PhotoCD was better
than I could afford, and it's their scanner depreciating at a horrendous
rate, not mine.  The lab's depreciation is spread over thousands of scans,
while mine (if I were to buy one) would have to be covered by a few hundred
scans at most.  Besides, not having a scanner means one less thing to keep
working, and less software to crash my system.

Doug Herr
Sacramento