Subject: Re: [Leica] Archiving question
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:54:40 -0700 (PDT)

> By the way, if someone can suggest how to store slides developed as
> unmounted strips of four exposures per strip, in plastic sleeves

Archival quality film holder pages, designed for use in a binder, are
available in 4 exposure widths. Plastic binders designed for photo
materials (also archival) with closed sides to eliminate dust are also
available. I find them somewhat bulky to store. I usually put my film and
transparency strips into the archive pages, then fold the pages and put
them into paper envelopes with date and principle subject matter written
on them, file those into boxes by date.

The next step, a keyed database system so I can find things that are
significant, I haven't worked out yet but any decent database program
should be able to do it with a little bit of effort.

I also have an algorithm for doing direct image searching by comparison to
a given image that I wrote when I was a scientist doing those sorts of
things ... converts an image into a 2D frequency spectra using a 2DDFFT
and allows searching patterns of similar type ... It would be interesting
to resurrect that code now that my personal computer is 100x more powerful
than the VAX I wrote it on, could be a useful tool in an image database.
:)

Gads, I wonder what archive I've lost it in? Another quest ...

Godfrey
  never runs out of windmills