Subject: RE: [Leica] Decisions, decisions
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:46:20 +0100

Friends,
I wish my computer wasn't playing up/forever crashing. I thought you'd have
received my post on Cartier-Bresson's definition of 'Images a la Sauvette'
but as I can't see it in either the 'sent' or 'delete' pile I'll pot it
again:
In Beaumont Newhall's autobiography, 'Focus', Bullfinch Press 1993, he
recalls,
	"In Paris we enjoyed visiting with Henri Cartier-Bresson again, after his
exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art.  His book The Decisive Moment had
just come off the press.  The French edition of his beautiful collection of
photographs, brilliantly reproduced in photogravure, is titled Images a la
sauvette.  Henri explained that the phrase a la sauvette is slang and can
hardly be translated.  Literally it means "to save oneself," and he gave
the example of a street vendor selling his wares without a license to do so
and who "beats it" when he sees a policeman, in order to "save himself'
from arrest."

I hope that explains a little more 'from the horse's mouth' and might even
encourage  afew to look out for the book, it's a great read.

Jem