Subject: RE: [Leica] 'Absurd' indecisive moments
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:55:50 -0600

> Interesting thoughts. Did Cartier-Bresson comment on this? I have read
> Cartier-Bresson's statements on the subject of his photography, and it
> seems to me to be more like the moment when history had come to a fine
> point. Where everything in the picture (geometry, timing, composition,
> exposure) come together for that quick instant where everything
> works.

There is a Greek philosophical/theological term for this - kairos - the
right moment, the opportune moment (even the decisive moment!), the
point/moment where past and present and future intersect.

"The propitious moment for the performance of an action or the coming into
being of a new state" - Oxford English dictionary

And many more etc. etc....

Of course it comes from the Greek root for right or proper time, but is used
this way in philosophy and theology - Paul Tillich, Karl Barth and even W.H.
Auden et al (and now in photography!) It has always seemed to sum it up for
me. Now I will get off my soapbox. And yes, this is definitely an
interesting discussion compared to other recent ones!

Tim A

tim@KairosPhoto.com

Not