Subject: Re: [Leica] 'Absurd' indecisive moments
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:17:01 -0500

At 02:06 PM 9/22/99 +0100, Johnny Deadman wrote:
>I've thought this 'absurd' thought for years, but was very pleased to read
>Colin Westerbeck's essay on HCB in BYSTANDER, in which he says:
>
>"THE DECISIVE MOMENT is misleading as a translation, for the moment referred
>to is that just before a decision is made, the moment of aniticipation
>rather than conclusion... the instant being described is the one when you
>are just about to take off, the point at which the shortstop is ready to
>dash in any direction as he watches the batter step into the ball, or when
>th epickpocket waits for his victim to be distracted so that he can strike".

Interesting thoughts. Did Cartier-Bresson comment on this? I have read
Cartier-Bresson's statements on the subject of his photography, and it
seems to me to be more like the moment when history had come to a fine
point. Where everything in the picture (geometry, timing, composition,
exposure) come together for that quick instant where everything works. Not
just before, as the person above argues. Have you read Beaumont Newhall's
essay in one of HCB's books? Seems to argue for decisive. (They were
friends, by the way).

This is much more interesting than angels or molesters! :-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Men say they know many things; but lo! they have taken wings