Subject: Re: [Leica] Another reason not to like the built in hood.
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:41:14 +0100

Jonathan wrote:

>I just spent some time photographing on a beach and
>I found out that the built in hood on my 50 summicron
>really likes to trap sand between it and the aperature
>ring.  Net result: a bunch of scratches all around
>the outside of the hood. Know the feeling when you're
>new car gets its first supremarket parking lot scratch?
>Arghhhh!!!

Sounds like it's time for a tap-washable Leikonos - or did N**** already
invent something like that? :-) Alternatively there are some pretty good
waterproof (and sandproof) disposables around. Much cheaper than a CLA.

Sympathies on the scratches - but Murphy's Law on sand is that the damage
done by a grain or two is in direct proportion to the value of the kit.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Waterfall