Subject: Re: [Leica] What I did today
From: chefurka@sympatico.ca (Paul Chefurka)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 00:20:35 GMT

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:25:29 +0200, Anthony Atkielski
<anthony@atkielski.com> wrote:

> [...]

Anthony, you're not trying hard enough to get outside your own head
and inside those of the people around you.  In their minds, the
scenario goes like this:

- - Photographer takes a picture of little Sarah in the playground.

- - Photographer keeps an eye on who little Sarah goes home with, hears
Mummy call her by name, and maybe even finds out where she lives.

- - Two days later Photographer sees little Sarah on the sidewalk, and
recognizes her from the pictures he took.

- - Photographer gets out of his car, and says "Hi, Sarah - remember me?
I took some wonderful pictures of you in the park on Saturday.   I
showed them to your mummy said they're the best pictures anyone ever
took of you.  Would you like to see them?."  Sarah says "Sure!"

- - Photographer shows her the wonderful pictures, and shoots her a line
about how fantastic she looks in them, and how there's a modeling
contract she'd be perfect for, and how her mummy wants her to come
home right away so they can talk about it and sign the papers.

- - Sara gets all excited, and climbs into Photographer's car.

- - Two weeks later she's found.  Most of her, anyway.

In fact, this scenario is not so fanciful.  Here in Canada a very good
14-year-old gymnast named Allison Parrot went to meet a "press
photographer" who telephoned her asking for a photo shoot.  She still
hasn't been found, though a man was recently arrested some 7 years
after the apparent murder.

Events like this stick in the public memory, and we are the unlucky
beneficiaries.  You may feel there's no link, but *they* do.  Try and
understand that.

Paul Chefurka