Subject: Re: [Leica] What I did today ..or...GET A LIFE!
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:49:54 +0200

From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 19:41

> That is exactly right. Nobody has the right to tell you you can't take
> pictures in a public place, but they do anyway. Be better than them. Be
> polite, and if the picture isn't critical, say "Okay, no problem, it wasn't
> that important." If it IS important, then ignore them or say politely
> something like, "If you don't want to be in the picture, move, I'll wait."
> The worst thing to do is deliberately provoke them.

When it comes to protecting fundamental freedoms, a bit of provocation may be in
order.  If you don't need someone's permission to do something, asking for
permission is effectively signing away your freedom.  Once it is gone, you may
not be able to get it back.

> And please don't say it's reportage smugly and act like
> you are entitled to photograph them no matter what.

Even non-reporters can photograph in public.  There is no need to claim to be a
reporter.

  -- Anthony