Subject: Re: [Leica] What I did today ..or...GET A LIFE!
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:51:03 -0500

At 03:26 PM 9/20/99 -0400, Ruralmopics@aol.com wrote:
>Good post, Eric. It's nice to see that the Missouri-edge wears off after a
>while. It sure did for me. (Of course, I'm not saying you ever had that
>particular attitude -- I don't know -- but many who were trained at our alma
>mater sure come out with a few things to learn about diplomacy, tact and
>humility). I sure did . . .

I think my previous social work training gave me a more reasonable point of
view than some of my younger colleagues. Oh, there were times when I got
all huffy, but I finally decided that people deserve respect, and some
consideration. And besides, if one knows how to use a Leica M well, you can
go unnoticed until the shot is on film anyway. :-)

Like the time I was riding with a cop and photographed a domestic violence
situation. I rode to the detox center where they cops were going to leave
the woman to sleep off the effects of alcohol and drugs (in addition to the
beating she took). I followed them into the detox center and sat down in
the corner of the intake room and shot with my M6. The light was horrible.
At 1600 ISO it was 1/4 sec. at 1.4. But the picture ran in Monday's paper.
Could not see the woman's face, or the staff person, but the cops were
visible just fine, and that's who the story was about anyway. And I had a
killer picture out on the scene a bit earlier that ran the day before. My
35 Summilux ASPH and M6 have gotten me through many situations that could
have been ugly if I'd gone in blazing with an F5, 20-35 2.8 zoom and an SB-26.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!