Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Re:Ask?
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 15:20:38 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/99 12:55:47 PM, ewelch@ponyexpress.net writes:

<<Bob, that is a major problem these days. Most abductions seem to be carried
out by non-custodial parents. And as photographers we have an obligation to
respect the wishes of parents in this case. In schools in Oregon, the kids
are required to have a release form signed at the start of the year, just
for this very reason, to allow photographers to know what kid's they
shouldn't shoot because it would put a child in danger. All the rest are
available to photograph. It's a bit of a pain, but I don't mind protecting
kids. At public events, the rule is off. If the kids are there, they're
likely not in danger.>>

Eric,

I'm all for respecting the wishes of parents -- being one myself I sort of
take that kind of thing personally. Also, you're correct that it is parents
who do most of the abducting in this world, not strangers. As for releases,
as you well know, the release you mentioned is in place to protect the school
from parental lawsuits. It has nothing to do with the media and the media is
not bound by it. Photos taken for news or educational purposes do not require
a release. Now trespassing on private property, that's another issue . . .

Bob McEowen