Subject: Re: Re:Re: [Leica] Consistent underexposure problem
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:46:17 +0200

From: Bob Keene/Karen Shehade <kabob@tiac.net>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 15:21
Subject: Re:Re: [Leica] Consistent underexposure problem

> Don't be an idiot- EVERYTHING in life has an occasional
> defect or miscalibration!

That doesn't mean that one should expect and accept defects.  And it's not
strictly true that defects are unavoidable.  It's easy enough to implement a
zero-defect policy at the factor: any widget that fails to meet all the
standards is rejected--no exceptions.

> Do you mean if you bought a car and it didn't start one
> morning, you'd throw it away and never buy the same
> manufacturer!?

If it were a Rolls-Royce, I might.  If it's a Yugo, I'd just get it repaired.

> And you don't have to go out and buy a meter, borrow
> one from another photographer...

I needed a meter anyway.  You never know when it'll come in handy.

> In certain lighting conditions the M's meter will be fooled-
> *you* have to learn when that happens and how to correct for it.

Yes, I know.

> M6's don't "often" have meter problems, but yours might
> have one.

As I've said quite a few times now, there is no evidence of a meter problem in
my camera.  My M6, my spot meter, and my F5 all agree with each other to within
1/10 of a stop.

> Once you've gotten used to the M, you'll probably love it!

I already like it.  The camera doesn't frustrate me at all; only my own
incompetence at setting the exposure correctly irritates me.

> Rangefinder camera systems aren't for everyone.....

I think every camera has its place.  I'm primarily an SLR person, but there are
situations in which a rangefinder is simply the right camera to use.

  -- Anthony