Subject: RE: [Leica] Consistent underexposure - what am I (a newbie) doing wrong?
From: "Lee, Ken" <ken.lee@hbc.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:47:26 -0400

Anthony,

This seems to be the same mindset as the one which says you don't have to
learn the multiplication tables because you have a calculator.  The sunny 16
rule does work.. as does the late afternoon/heavy shade 5.6 rule.  I often
use it to check my metering for accuracy. Same logic as having a rough idea
of the answer before using the calculator. If the answer/meter reading is
vastly different from the expected result I had better check it.

I usually preset my meter to my guestimate of the exposure. Most of the
time, when I put the M6 (or F4) to my eye, the exposure is pretty close.
Some time it is way off because I read the light wrong, sometimes the meter
is off due to the scene being photographed. Either way I am forced to stop
and think about why the results are different. Although it some times hurts
my head, thinking about what you are doing is often a good thing ;-)

Ken