Subject: Re: [Leica] QA/QC
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 14:58:26 +0200

From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@sympatico.ca>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 1999 05:21

> There was a batch of bad pressure plates that made it into a
> few cameras a while ago, and some instances of RF misalignment, but
> apparently the QC is sufficiently high for even a luxury product.

Were the defective cameras made in Germany?  I have encountered mentions of
Canada and Portugal; how do they enter into the Leica manufacturing process?

> IIRC, you have proven that your meter is functioning correctly,
> and that the problem is likely located about 4 inches behind the
> viewfinder.

Yes.  In fact, if you read closely, you'll see that I never doubted the accuracy
of the meter, until a well-meaning devil's advocate (who shall remain nameless)
frightened me--but even then I didn't think it was the meter, and it isn't.

> So why are you all wobbly about the potential lack of QC
> at Leica?

I'm not wobbly at that; I'm disappointed that so many people seem to think that
zero-defect manufacturing is some sort of impossible dream, and that defects
should just be quietly accepted as if they were no big deal.  When a product is
sold on the basis of quality, defects are a _very_ big deal.

  -- Anthony