Subject: RE: [Leica] 50mm Summilux vs Noctilux
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 10:51:55 -0400

Ruralmopics@aol.com wrote:

> I must admit I'm always a little baffled (maybe slightly
> impressed) when I
> see folks discuss these super fast lenses. I shoot for a monthly
> publication
> and end up in a lot of diverse situations (though not nearly as
> many as in my
> newspaper days) still I rarely find the need for extremely fast
> lenses.

true if:

a) you always shoot in daylight
b) you use a flash
c) you use high speed film
d) you always use a tripod

If you wish to avoid a flash, and use lower speed film, which has higher
resolution, MTF etc. each extra stop afforded by a lens is a great help ...
or so I am trying rationalize a purchase of a Noctilux, but this argument
does also apply to my Summilux 35/1.4 which I use to take handheld shots
inside forests using Kodachrome film.

Jonathan Borden