Subject: [Leica] Amazing what one can do with a simple camera and a good eye...
From: "Deborah Dion" <dkdion@home.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 22:13:18 -0400

Eric Welch wrote:

> I just saw an exhibit at the local camera store. A woman who shoots with an
> ancient pocket camera like that shoots with Fuji 800. I was amazed at her
> pictures. They were all printed by a custom lab in Kansas City - Custom
> Color. The prints were gorgeous. The compositions were terrific. Well, most
> of them. And the quality of the image only fell apart on closer
> examination. Goes to show what one can do with a simple camera and a good eye!

Eric, this comment makes me think of a trip to visit my uncle a few years
ago (he is former head of photography at FIT, years as a pro, several
fellowships etc.). I had just purchased my R7 and was showing him the camera
and photos. He took out a pile of beautiful photographs he had recently
taken on a trip to Norway. I asked him which camera he took (he has a good
collection by now of SLRs and medium format). He said in his heavy New York
accent. "Paypaa". I looked at him and said, "What brand of camera is that?"
He looked back at me and repeated himself. I looked puzzled. So he said
"Throw away". I said, "you mean, paper!". He answered, "it's not the camera
it's the photographer's eye. And I didn't feel like carrying a heavy camera
to Europe."

Needless to say if you add good equipment it doesn't hurt.

Debby Dion