Subject: Re: [Leica] re: OT: philosophies, Contax G, Rollei 35S ...
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 06:19:32 +0000

>> "In any group of working photographers, I usually look like the least
>> professional, because I travel very light. I use a very sophisticated
>> range-finder camera, a Leica M6, but to most people it looks like a
>> point-and-shoot camera. And, for me, in fact, it is a
>> point-and-shoot-small, simple, and I have it with me all the time."
>
>The Contax G might appeal to users of P&S cameras as an "interchangeable
>lens P&S" initially,

<snip>

>Godfrey

Many people myself included used to handle the G2 as a glorified P&S.  One
may not want to progress on from there but I have recently found the manual
focus facility to be immensely useful when taking group portraits with a
self-timer.  I focus onto the main subject or any reference distance
manually and press the self timer and it's hey presto.  With an AF,
rehunting of the point of focus occurs every time but not with the distance
having been pre set on the G2's MF.
The lens would focus on the same reference distance even when the subjects
move or when the scene becomes hard to AF.

I'd be a littled miffed if somebody thinks that my M6 is a P&S but that
seems to be the fact of life.  The black bulky SLR is often seen by the
public as der SERIOUS CAMERA.  Anything chromy, silvery, smallish, without
loud flapping mirrors and enormous flashlight is seen as a P&S - alas, M6
inlcuded.  Therein lay the greatest strength of the M6.  While people shy
away from the "PRO" SLRs, they are more accomodating of the M6 in their
presence and I can get them to relax and have their picture taken more
times with my M6, G2 or Rollei 35S
(which in my opinion is the best camera for street photography) than with
my Neeekon F90.

Used at hyperfocal distance settings, any camera inc. the M6 and 35S are
indeed awesome "P&S" cameras.

Dan K

   The pursuit of wealth is ultimately futile.  A shroud has no pockets.