Subject: Re: [Leica] Meeting with a strange beast (Trinol)
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:56:49 -0400

At 04:56 PM 9/15/1999 -0400, Robert Beaudoin wrote:
>  I just met a strange creature today.  It is a 105mm S.M. Trinol (sounds
>like a disinfectant!) 3.5 lens.  Barrel is in fair shape but the glass looks
>surprisingly nice.  I was told it was made in Scotland (that s a good start)
>and it is engraved STEWARTRY.  Anybody knows anything regarding this lens
>from a user s standpoint?  Is this some sort of collectible?   Value?

Ha-rumph.  Thanks to the courtesy of another member of this List, I now own
the World's Largest Known Collection of Trinols -- two!

Made by National Optical in England.   A large-format lens.  Remounted for
LTM by Stewartry in Scotland.  The only known LTM lens to be marked "Made
in Scotland" (which is why I own two!).

Roger, you really DO need a copy of that sterling work, NON-LEITZ LTM
LENSES:  A 39mm DIVERSITY.  (And, yes, folks, this IS a shameless
commercial plug!)  The Trinol is, of course, discussed there!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!