Subject: [Leica] Leica] Planning to get an M3
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:38:42 +1000

Leica] Planning to get an M3

Dear all,

although this group seems to be busy with the new M7, maybe someone
can give me some advice. Today I saw an early M3 at a dealer, it had
no preview lever and times 1,2,5,10... and was a double stroke. The
(otherwise uncharismatic) dealer allowed me gracefully (,,if it makes
you happy'') to try all times and I was astonished how smooth and
solid the shutter trips. However, I was a bit unsure about the double
stroke feature. Does it a long time to get used to it? I also heard
that double stroke is not serviceable if it breaks (on Erwin's page?).

I would be glad if someone could tell me about her/his experience.

This dealer was really uncharismatic. After I said ,,well, I don't
know'' he told me he can test his equipment by himself and does not
need any customers for this job. Sure his business must be well going
and he does not need customers at all.

Thanks for reading and thus relieving my anger,
Peter.

Peter,
I am the proud owner of 3 M3's , a M1 and a M4 (bought with the money I
received for my M6)

One of the M3's is a double stroke. like my other M cameras, it has never given
me any trouble. I use them all. It takes about 10 seconds to get used to
pulling the lever twice. The stroke is shorter than the normal single stroke.
Some people prefer this. I personally don't care. The missing pre-view lever? I
never use mine. What for. If I want to use another lens, then I have a
reasonable idea how it may look before I put it on. Just make sure, It is in
good nick. Make sure the shutter sound similar to a new M6. If they don't,
It needs a clean. That cost extra money. You'll have to add this on top of the
purchase price. By the way, you can fit any of the Leica meters to it. The old
1-2-5 or new 1-2-4 version. The speeds will be self adjusting. Very smart how
Leitz did this.

Regards, Horst Schmidt