Subject: Re: [Leica] comparison of Hologon and Heliar lenses
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:12:46 -0400

At 01:39 AM 9/15/1999 GMT, Dan States wrote:

>First, if Zeiss was so insistent on the constant use of the neutral density
>graduated filter they should have made it a permanant part of the lens.
>They did not.
>
>Second, any lens that has a single working aperture of f16 will be useless
>in handheld applications indoors which is the very reason to go with a super
>wide on 35mm.  This alone makes the Heliar a more workable solution for many
>photographers.

As to the second, so be it.  Whether this renders the lens useless to you,
I cannot say.  But, it DOES have an effective aperture of f/16 with the
graduated filter in place.

As to the first, yes, Zeiss does most strongly recommend the use of the
graduated filter -- otherwise, you encounter the light fall-off so
prominent in all of the Heliar shots I've seen to date, and in Godfrey's
Hologon shots.

I do agree, of course, that the next round of shots should be with the
Hologon with filter and the Heliar at f/8.  That would be as fair a test as
could be arranged under these conditions.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!