Subject: Re: [Leica] comparison of Hologon and Heliar lenses
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 01:39:38 GMT

Marc, I disagree with this assumption for two reasons.

First, if Zeiss was so insistent on the constant use of the neutral density
graduated filter they should have made it a permanant part of the lens.
They did not.

Second, any lens that has a single working aperture of f16 will be useless
in handheld applications indoors which is the very reason to go with a super
wide on 35mm.  This alone makes the Heliar a more workable solution for many
photographers.

Zeiss DOES make a 15 that is as usable as the Heliar, for a much higher
price.  I belive Leica uses that design for their own 15, but I defer to
your expertise on this matter.

Best wishes
Dan States