Subject: Re: [Leica] R-135 F2.8
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:25:38 -0400

Does anyone have any experience with the 135 F2.8 for the R. I want
something between the 90/100 and 180 and Leica stopped   making this
lens. anyone know why other than maybe the 100  took sales away or was
it less than stellar in it's performance.
Cheers Wilber
<<<

Wilbur,

I've been using a first-version 135 (s/n 2172xxx, Wetzlar) for a few months
now and the optical performance is all I expect from a Leica-R lens.  I did
a few informal comparisons with a 180 f/3.4 APO-Telyt-R (tripod-mounted)
and see little difference on Kodachrome 64.  I can make a tiny bit of flare
show up if I work at it, and the far edges are somewhat less crisp at f/2.8
but by stopping down to f/4 the image is sharp and contrasty from corner to
corner.  An excellent lens.

Doug Herr
Sacramento