Subject: [Leica] Hairdresser? Hairdresser?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:49:59 -0400

At 11:12 PM 9/13/1999 -0700, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>And again keeping the sun off your head can save your life
>my hairdresser last year balled me out for having a overly tanned (spotted)
>hairline. She says her clients are dropping like flies. Claims to be Imogene
>Cunningham's niece and is quite believable about it. And looks like her.
Has a
>great rap about the tidepools. Her name is Sarah. In NW Portland Oregon.

Gads.  My horror increases.  Mark, you CAN rub salt in raw wounds!

First, the "politically correct" medical message.  I grew up in the son, as
did my entire family.  We generally all live into our 80's and nary a case
of melanoma in the bunch of us out to my third or fourth cousins.  Damn
little cancer of any sort, and most of us grew up in urban pollution.  (I
was raised in the Pittsburgh of green air and funny-tasting water:  my
doctors don't waste time fussing at me for smoking a pipe, as I'm already
off the charts for lung cancer.)  So, let the UV pour on, guys!

Second, a HAIRDRESSER?  a HAIRDRESSER?  Probably in a "unisex styling
salon" of some sort, complete with some dude with a French accent selling
the appropriate fragrances for Today's Man.  I had my hair cut yesterday.
Regular, old-style barbarshop.  Red-white-and-blue pole out front.  Leather
seats.  Lather-and-razor on the neck.  Here's the camera connexion:  the
guy who founded the shop is a veteran of the US Army's 80th Infantry
Division and was with the Blue Ridgers when they captured the Carl Zeiss
lensworks at Jena in April, '45.  (It is now a reserve Division and was the
unit from which I retired, incidentally, when I completed my reserve time.)

I guess I'm just too old-fashioned for you trendy sorts in the American
North-West!  (I will admit to making a wicked baked brie and to swilling an
occasional tun of white wine, but I was doing the both of these long before
they became fashionable.  I also can whump up a grand mess of fried chicken
and mashed potatoes, too -- extra cholesterol added, lots of salt, and
butter, and so forth.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!