Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: the recent unpleasantness, The End -- Not Quite
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:36 +0100 (BST)

Stephen Gandy wrote:

> My source originally came from an email from Japan, from a reader who
> so far has
> consistently provided me with correct information on the new  various
> Japanese Leica
> competitors.     The second source came from a  LUG member:
>
> on 9/6/99  Bill Erfurth wrote:
>
> > FYI Herr Cohn announced to a group of business men
> > several weeks ago that there would be a new M7 at
> > Photokina 2000.
>
> Mr. Cohn is the CEO of Leica.   Because the information came from
> completely
> different sources, and different continents at that, and the timing is
> right facing
> new competition,  I put this information on my site.

So what we have on your site, in the form of your statement:

"September 1999

The M7 has been announced introduction at  Photokina 2000 in September.
No word on features."

Is actually hearsay (or rather the email equivalent) presented as fact.
You actually have no primary source for this information whatsoever.

I have no doubt that Mr Erfurth presented his information in good faith.
Indeed it is *entirely* possible that this report is both true and
accurate.

However without some corroborative evidence, presenting the claim on your
website that "The M7 has been announced" with no qualification
*whatsoever* is misleading to your readers, and unhelpful to the good
people at Leica.