Subject: Re: [Leica] depth of field..depth of focus?
From: Martin Howard <mvh@media.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 18:32:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Henry Ambrose wrote:

> Seems like a good idea to me for you to coin this use of "depth of focus"
> as your own teaching tool. I think I'll use it too.
> I'm sure others will disagree.

`Depth of focus' is already a technical term that is in use.  It refers to
the "depth of field" at the film plane, i.e., how much the film can be out
of perfect alignment and still capture an image in focus.  Teaching students
terminology that is contrary to widely accepted standard use is probably not
a very good idea.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                                 (__)                 (__)
Visiting Scholar at MIT Media Lab |           (oo)                 (OO)
email: mvh@media.mit.edu          |   /|     ||
www: http://mvhoward.i.am/        | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~