Subject: Re: [Leica] New Leica M6 brochure
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:54:41 -0700

>Pascal wrote:
>
>> A new Leica M6 brochure is available and can be ordered online.
>> There is also a new "Leica M" campaign !
>> Too bad they used the portrait of Che Guevara as the main attraction. A
>> more neutral subject could have been choosen I guess.

Lucien responded:
>Yes, but one of the most published and used picture made with a Leica M.>>>>>

Hi Lucien,

But ask any hundred people on the street or camera buyers/users and I bet
very few would know who he was. A guy with a beard is all that it amounts
to in the world of the people who they want to influence to purchase. And
I'd include many of they older generation.

It's nice to see them associate the M with B&W for two reasons:

1.  The camera, "Leica," gained it's noterity with published B&W images.

2: There is a resurgence of B&W photography these days with the new B&W
   films being produced.

But I'm sure they could have found a more meaningful image than, "who was
that bearded man?"

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant