Subject: Re: [Leica] Alps &Minolta Scanner
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:15:23 -0400

Roy-
After all the posts replying to mine, about why anyone would want to scan
and print photos, and every topic but an answer, finally I hear a voice in
the wilderness!
Good tips, there, and I want to thank you for your reply!
I guess the answer is to call up Minolta, announce that I am coming over to
kick ass, and chew bubble gum- and that I'm all out of bubble gum!
Actually, since my friend Bob was dealing with a LOCAL dealer, and we were
sure it was a hardware problem, we now have a replacement- and we will again
try today!
I also found that when installing, that when the software asks if you want
to turn the existing TWAIN drivers into .bak files, say NO! If your TWAIN
.dll files are okay, keep them, and the Minolta will use them! The
interface, or GUI installs, and works all right. I also found that some
programs, like MS Photo Editor, will crash using the Minolta, unless the
Utility software is used and the file is saved, then opened in Photoed!
Also- Photoed will not load really big files- and this scanner can make some
REALLY BIG FILES!
I am impressed, too, with the quality of the output- not bad for a
non-darkroom print, and a good tool for checking, and proofing. I like the
indexing feature- it can make a really decent 'contact' sheet, and each
negative is scanned and saved with the optimum exposure, so variations in
the negatives' density doesn't make for a 'contact' with varying densities-
all come out looking fairly evenly exposed, so it's also a good tool for
making those 'contact' sheets to store with the negs-
Here again- like hammers and pots, it serves a purpose for some, and not for
others, but for me it seems quite useful. Itwon't replace the negative or
the 'print' but it has it's own uses!
Thanks again for taking the time to give your thoughtful ideas about the
problem!
Dan