Subject: [Leica] Nathan's FS'es // hooked on Leica
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 22:53:42 -0700

Nathan writes:

|Friends,
|
|After looking at the slides I shot in Israel with the 135mm Apo Telyt,
|it is no longer for sale ;-) So much for my grand consolidation plan.
|However, the following items are still available:
|
|3.5/50mm collapsible Elmar (screw mount). It is from 1952 or 1953,
|glass completely clean, normal cosmetic signs of use for a 47-year old
|lens. It came with my IIIf but I have now replaced it with a Summitar.
|200 EUR or
|equivalent in US$, worldwide shipping included.///snip

Welcome to the club.  Are you sure that you really want to sell the 3.5/50
collapsible.  Think about.  A lousy 200 EUR for the lens.  You can put it on
your M and slip it in your coat pocket and pull the camera and lens out in  a
moment to capture a moment.  You don't have to worry about one of Ted's cows
flinging stuff on it.  You probably cannot duplicate the photos it takes with
a more modern lens.  (I mean once you learn the characteristics of the lens
... sometimes you want to exploit what is currently thought of as weaknesses
of the lens).  Are you really sure that you might not want to use the Elmar?

I have the problem that rationally I want to have a M carry system of the
75/1.4 and the 35/2asph...but I cannot find it within myself to sell other
lenses.  I know each of the others well --- what they will do --- what their
faults are --- and how to exploit the lenses (I am still learning this).  I
keep promising my wife I will sell something --- but I think it might be her
car before it is one of my lenses.

I hope this translates well.  No offense is intended.  But your post was the
most humourous I have read lately --- and certainly doesn't fall within the
recent diatribes on humour.

Med venlig hilsens fra
Bill Larsen
ohlen@lightspeed.net