Subject: Re: [Leica] R future
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 01:04:04 -0400

drodgers@nextlink.com wrote:

> I'd be interested to know how many people own both an R7 and and R8,
> and which they use more often. That's usually a pretty good indication
> of which body they like more.

<<There me, for instance. I own both, and I have winders for both. I
bought them virtually simultaneously and both were new when I bought
them. In the studio, I prefer the R8 mainly because of the auto-rewind
function. For the rest, you don't really need "features" when blasting
strobes at a model. I will even use my R6 with winder in the studio,
because all you need to do is set it to X and fire away.>>

<<I never take street candids, but I do take photos of streets I find
picturesque and of architecture in general. Of course the R8 beats the
R7 hands down. I really need the 16 sec you can set manually, and I love
the way the camera slides through MLU into B with the timer on the back
display. That is suberb.>>

<< With the R7, I cannot see all the info in the
viewfinder at once; I have to move about a bit to catch a glimpse of it
all (and I don't even wear glasses). With the R8, I see everything at a
glance.

That's no understatement.  I usually use R7 but it is a relief to use the R8
for this particular reason.  I shoot architecture mostly and if you're going
to looking through the lens, you should have a good look! The R8 clears up
what little distractions may be apparent with the R7.

<<The R8 shows me the frame counter in the viewfinder too, which I
find very important for studio work (I go through a roll rather quickly,
and I need to see what I've got left, so I can guide the model
accordingly).>>

The R8 eats my film!  I shoot significantly more if I have the R8, and
certainly the viewfinder facilitates this acceleration to a degree.

<< I never use EV compensation, but of course the way it's
done on the R7 is pretty inconvenient; on the R8 it's so much easier.
Then there's matrix metering. I normally use the spot, but not always,
and the matrix gets it right more often than the intergral metering
function. Again, the R8 wins. Then there's the obvious argument about
how well the controls are placed on the R8. There is more I could say,
but this is what comes to mind immediately. Oh, there's one minus to the
R8: I *love* the leather strap that comes with the old R-winders.>>

The R8 I think grows on you.  After a while it seems just right and the
frames just go quick.  The controls are not awkward as they might be at
first  they are easy and efficient.  Honestly, for a post R7 camera I like
the viewfinder  the equalizer is fun  it's also a nice switch from the M6.
And a better one back.   I'd go out and have a shooting match with both.
I'd take on a Hassy  what the heck...  The R8 100 APO gives you quite a bit
of Leica there. When you've got that you will shoot your best and second
thought limitations. .  In any case I'd have no tripod.  That would look
good.

<<Conclusion: the R8 is a major feat. Hooray for Leica.>>
Right.  It's got some things that are dislikeable.  But to bypass its merits
is unjust.

<<Bernard>>

eno