Subject: Re: [Leica] Messages
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:14:16 +1000

Elliot M. Puritz, MD wrote:

> Friends:  Wonder if the time might have come to separate the Leica Luggers
> list into more then one category as has been done with several of the
> medical lists I am on.  The number ofmessages has become prodigious, and
> although most of such missives are interesting and fun, some are not...at
> least to me.  Of course, what is of interest to one, might not be of interest
> to another.  Hence, a suggestion:
>
> Separate the Leica-users messages into "Leicachat" which would dwell on
> the personal, non technical end of Leica matters such as the death of Lady
> Diana, the height of various photographers, etc. , "leicatech" or something
> similar which would dwell on the technical end of Leica matters including
> lenses, exposure metering, etc. and "leicalab" which might deal with
> dark-room subjects such as various developers, digital matters,etc.  In
> such manner  Luggers would have the opportunity to segregate messages
> into groups that are of interest.  Alternately, one might subscribe to the
> "Leica" headings that are of interest, but not subscribe to messages that
> relate to Leica-but are of no interest.  Note that I am not at all being
> critical of content, just the way such content might be organized.  I realize
> that there might be endless debate about various categories, i.e., where to
> put LTM matters, etc., but I suspect that such broad divsions as I have
> posited, or something similar, might serve.
>
> Perhaps the list manager might monitor the feeling(s) of our devoted
> group, and consider my suggestion(s) based upon the wishes of other
> Luggers.
>
> Elliot

  Friends,

and then we could split just about everything in to categories. E.G.

We could have  a lens (technical) , a lens (picture taking), a lens (which one
should I buy), a lens (historical), a lens (not Leitz, but fits Leitz), a lens
(compare to leitz).
Then we could have a camera (technical), a camera (picture taking, ..............

Of course if categories overlap we could have a category line:

Camera (buy), (repair),(use), (M&R),l ens (historical., camera-lens(picture
taking), wife (complaints) Trip(hazardous)

We could of course also to condense the category line a bit, make a list and give
every
category a number, with a sub number:

Lens                                        1.0
technical                                  1.1
picture taking                           1.2
which one should I buy            1.3
price                                       1.3.1

Camera                                    2.0
technical                                    2.1

and so on

A category line could look like this:    1.2,1.4,2.0.5.7,6,0,1.2,5.0

An amended category list would have to be issued at say a weekly basis.

On a wednesday new category suggestions could be forwarded by the individual
LUGers
and thursdays a committee could evaluate the new categories and if necessary
delete obsolete ones. Friday the list could be collided by a group of volunteers.
Mondays the list could be send out to all LUGers and Tuesday a short amendment,
if required, could be posted.

Regards, Horst Schmidt

For the ease of using all the category numbers, a software program could be
developed which would make it simpler to find which number fits the required
category. This program then would be send out to all LUGers. A regularly Bug Fix
update could then be downloaded.

Simple isn't it?

What do you guys and gals think.