Subject: Re: [Leica] Galen Rowell and Nikon
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 18:54:37 -0700

Pete Su wrote:

> This thread has quickly gotten pointless.
>
> Rowell uses Nikon gear because he started using Nikon gear and the Nikon
> gear that he uses does what he wants and doesn't break for him. If you
> read through the large amount of text he has written about his photography,
> this much would be obvious.
>
> 35mm photography, and much of what Rowell does, is not about ultimate
> sharpness or technical quality. Its about caturing the fleeting moment,
> whether it be the decisive ones, or the ones with mountains and light on
> them. That's what he does. I think he does it pretty well. I think it would
> be pointless for him to use any other equipment than what he wants and
> is comfortable with, whether it be a Leica or a 4x5.
>
> Oh, and for the record, the nikon 75-150/3.5 E zoom is a great lens.
>
> Pete

I used Nikons for 20 years because that's what I got in the beginning and it was
awkward and unnecessary to switch. Rowell is out there shooting. He gets a lot
of good sometimes great shots.
I feel 35mm photography can be about "sharpness or technical quality" especially
the kind Rowell does. And that way I spend $1400 on a 35mm lens and not $140.

My 75-150/3.5 E needs to be stopped down to F 10 or the image is low contrast
and not sharp. If my F stop changes when I'm not aware to F 8 all those shots
are barely useable if at all. But I still have that lens. It's an F 10 lens as
far as I go. Hard to call great. Of course I could have bumped it. Lots of
elements held in place by plastic.
Mark Rabiner