Subject: [Leica] Motors vs. Winders (was Leica vs. Hasselblad)
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:23:50 +0100

>Roger wrote:

>Having said that, I've stuck on F3 SLRs because I like the way it can be a
>big heavy motorised SLR, and then switch to being a (relatively) small
>motorless SLR in a few seconds.

The whole of this thread seems to be begging lots of questions.

Let's start from basics:

Question:

Who needs a motor drive?

My personal view:

Pros into action/sports photography. And, just maybe, amateurs (including
myself) who use them mostly as a glorified winder, but occasionally need
the fast frame facility.

Who needs a winder (motorised or manual)?

My personal view:

Almost everyone who wants to concentrate on the subject rather than the camera.

Putting Tom A.'s Rapidwinder on my M2 didn't transform my way of looking at
subjects. It just made it much easier to keep in touch with what was
happening in the viewfinder without taking the camera from my eye.

In terms of general usefulness, I submit that a winder is a lot more
effective in most circumstances than a motor drive. Almost every P&S camera
has this facility, though the rationale here would be rather different. It
just saves remembering to wind on.

And certainly the continued lack of a motor drive for the R8 has very
little bearing on its ultimate survival. What counts is the ultimate
quality and reliability of the basic camera, and Leica to date don't appear
to have got this right.

In conclusion, have you heard many M users moaning about the lack of a
motor drive? But there are plenty who've converted to Rapidwinders....

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Waterfall