Subject: Re: [Leica] M and R
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 11:43:25 -0500

At 07:10 AM 9/6/99 -0700, you wrote:
>There was a suggestion those attending the Akedamie receive an R8 body as
>an incentive to get started using Leica. A champion marketing idea, (given
>they have a glut of bodies sitting on the shelf, why not give a few away?)
>Great publicity. Or sell them for $500.00 a body.  But I'm afraid German
>marketing strategists aren't bright enough to see the "lost leader effect"
>that would create.

Ted,

A stroke of genius! So they loose $1,000 on this body. Don't give it a
passport warranty, and that cuts the difference even more! Then Figure how
many lenses they'll buy in the future. A pretty good investment with a glut
of bodies gathering dust. Get potential  customers hooked on the lenses and
they could have a great market in the future! At least they'd soak up some
of the used lenses forcing others to buy new. Or even sell it for $500 if
they one lens, $250 if they buy two lenses, free if they buy three!

Winners all around. All for a measly $1,000 - $1,500 investment. Then get
an AF body out there, and see what happens. The future is for the bold!
They were bold in 1924, in 1954. It's fifteen years overdue for the next
bold move! :-)

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

    My best work is often almost unconscious and occurs ahead of my ability
to understand it. -Sam Abell; "Stay This Moment"