Subject: Re: [Leica] Whether to buy a seperate meter?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:45:04 -0500

At 12:35 AM 9/6/99 +0800, you wrote:
>Have U used an OM-4 or Ti before ? U might just be surprised at the level of
>sophistication (and/or convenience) its multi spotmetering facility  has to
>offer with regards to the actual  process of 'making' the picture.

I don't care if it's an OM-4Ti or Deep Blue (the computer that beat
Kasparov in Chess). I can out-think a computer when it comes to making
exposures in difficult light. Convenience is great, and the Nikon F5 seems
to have the best on-the-fly metering around. For push button spot metering,
and multiple measurements, it seems more a gimmick to me and takes more
time than I can do it with my brain and a good Leica selective meter. By
the time you've taken four or five spot readings and recomposed and shot
the picture, I'm on to the next subject. But that takes a lot of practice.
It's not useful for me. For most other people, maybe.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

    My best work is often almost unconscious and occurs ahead of my ability
to understand it. -Sam Abell; "Stay This Moment"