Subject: [Leica] Re: Lightjets!
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:52:15 -0700

A while back, Mark wrote:

>>Please do not spare our precious low tech cloth shutter sensibilities about
>>the Lightjets!
>>Inkjets with Lasers!?
>>How do they compare with the Ciba or a c print or other printing. I am very
>>interested and my guess is others would be too!.
>>Mark Rabiner

I answered with two web sites,  http://www.calypsoinc.com/  and
http://www.cymbolic.com/ .

But failed to answer the Ciba - LightJet comparison question.

LightJet prints are awesome in their own right. They have a sense of smooth
realism to them. As I mentioned earlier, my 48x60's are so sharp it is mind
boggling.

LightJets do not inherently have the contrast of Ciba's. No mask needed.
Perhaps a Photo Shop tweak or two. A good Ciba print looks "alive". A good
LightJet is gorgeous, but lacks that "photo-quality" look. When making very
large Ciba prints, enlarger optics and enlarger spec's play heavily on the
quality of the result. A 48x96 (max size) LightJet will look exactly like
an 8x10 LightJet. There are no optical/mechanical gotcha's in the way. Only
scan size and computer profiling. Once done, size is not an issue.

For sheer photographic beauty, I'll choose a Ciba print any day. They just
have that look.

Ciba prints are more expensive than LightJet prints as well. That is, after
the scan.

Jim