Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens quality from non-Leica factories
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 10:47:36 EDT

doug@meditor.demon.co.uk writes:

<< During the LHSA visit to Solms in April, I asked one of our hosts from
 Leica how the company could be sure of getting Leica-quality lenses
 from outside companies such as Minolta without giving such companies
 full access to Solms design and manufacturing methods.

 His response was that Leica does not share its design or manufacturing
 technology with outside companies. If a lens is obtained from another
 company, then that company has to use its own technology to create a
 product which met the specification laid down by Solms. >>

In the case of the Minolta/Leica R lenses, Leica was always candid about the
fact that the designs were Minolta's.  The same is true of the 1st-version
28-70 designed and made by Sigma.  Leica's official statement at this point
is that the current lenses built in Japan are Leica (Solms) designs and only
the production is farmed out to Kyocera (although I have personal doubts that
the "new" 28-70 differs significantly from its Sigma predecessor).  Kyocera
is a huge, diversified manufacturing conglomerate (they make, among other
items, centrifugal casting apparatus for fabricating titanium dental
implants).  I am unaware if they even *have* an optical designing group.  The
lenses for Contax are designed by Zeiss and only maufactured by Kyocera, so
it is certainly plausible that Leica does the same.  In the case of the
80-200 f4 zoom, whoever designed that lens deserves a pat on the back (ok,
and maybe a quick elbow in the ribs for omitting a removable tripod collar).
The MTF stats are quite impressive, even with respect to most of the German
Leica prime lenses in that focal length range.

DT