Subject: [Leica] Re: Which seperate meter?
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 12:51:57 -0400

Guy, the good news is that this isn't going to cost you much!

For use with a IIIf _THE_ meter to use is the old Zeiss Icophot. It is
small and pocketable. It measures reflected and incident light. It is
resonably dim light capable and it is selenium celled (batteryless). It
will cost you about $25 used. I have several tucked away in different bags.

I you need to measure really low light, consider the 60s era Metrastar. Cds
cells read incident or reflected light through a narrow angle (about the
same angle as a 135mm lens. It has a reflex viewer showing the are
measured. Used cost about $50-$75

Both of these meters are simple to use and analog. IMHO anaolg is much more
useful because the face can be used as a sort of calculator, rather like an
analog watch face.

This is silly, but to me using a "Bells and Whistles" meter with a screw
mount Leica is rather like heresy.

Ken Wilcox

At 09:25 AM 9/4/99 -0800, you wrote:
>lugnutz!
>

>with all this hubbub about seperate meters, i can't refrain from asking:
>which seperate meter to buy? now, put down those flamethrowers! this is not
>a 'gee whiz, those [insert piece of photographic equipment here] look kinda
>neat. i'd love to have one dangling from my neck as i lolly about the
>gazebo...,' but rather, an honest question.
>
>having relied solely on the meter in my m6, i need to consider the purchase
>of a seperate meter to use with my new (well, it's new to me) screw mount.
>i'd like a good, but not overly sophisticated meter i could use with the
>iiif, one i could carry in my pocket and use quickly and easily. i shoot
>b&w film, mostly out in the street or in dim interiors. a
>reflected/incident light meter will be fine; i don't really need a spot. i
>don't normally use a flash, but wouldn't be opposed to a meter that also
>gave flash readings, for those rare occasions where i might need such
>information.
>
>does any one have any preferences, not only in terms of brands, but also
>regarding analogue/digital meters.
>
>i'd appreciate any suggetions.
>
>thanks.
>
>guy

Ken Wilcox					Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LAW LHSA MEA						          <wilcox@tir.com>