Subject: Re: [Leica] Whether to buy a seperate meter?
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 21:33:32 -0700

Hi Roger -

Just yesterday I took some shots which justified my usual practice of
carrying a LunaPro meter in my bag. Towards sunset with some haze, I took a
picture of the 87 foot Coast Guard Cutter Barracuda here in Eureka. The hull
was bright white and the water near the pier looked almost black, so what do
you meter on? The haze added a little more uncertainty to trying to estimate
the exposure. So I took an incident reading next to the boat with the Luna
Pro pointed half way between the sun and where I would stand with the
camera. Then I set the 21mm Elmarit-M for plenty of depth of field to keep
the bow line by my feet in focus along with the rest of the boat.

The Barracuda is a brand new boat and a real beauty. In fact, Group Humboldt
Bay here in Eureka was the first station to get the new design about a year
ago. I can hardly wait for the photo project excuse to get out to sea on
that fast cutter.

The night time helicopter hoist training was cancelled yesterday, so my high
speed film goes back in the freezer. Coast Guard boats and helicopter were
sent instead on a real emergency to tend a boat that was sinking. Turns out
it was a boat moored at a dock which had been running its bilge pumps
continually the day before and the pump finally couldn't keep up with the
leaks. Only loss besides the boat was probably some loss of owner's pride.

Now I have a rescheduled shoot for next week to shoot a daytime hoist op out
on Humboldt Bay. Instead of being on the boat, I'll be on another
helicopter, which should give a great vantage point.

I thought I had my Coast Guard slide show pretty well in order for the LHSA
conference next month in Chicago. However, with all the new images this last
week, I may have to completely revise it. That's always a problem with slide
presentations - they are never really *finished* it seems.
Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger