Subject: [Leica] Coast Guard update
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:04:54 -0700

Life with the Leicas has just taken a new direction, and I hope you don't
mind me sharing some great personal news with the LUG. Today I flew again to
take photos with one of  the Dolphin HH65A helicopter crews based here at
Group Humboldt Bay. It was another beautiful flight, but with a special
difference.

Today was my first official flight duty as US Coast Guard Artist -
Photographer. Commander Bob Durfey had recommended me for the position a
couple months ago, so we looked into the artist program that the USCG has
done for painters over the years. They had never before appointed a
photographer, so we pursued the idea with a portfolio and letters to
Washington headquarters about two weeks ago. I hoped to maybe hear some
results in a few months. Then Bob wanted to use me to take some pictures
this week, so called Washington for special permission. They said, no
problem, we already approved Gary's application as Coast Guard Artist.

I feel honored to be part of such a fine organization and humbled to work
with the caliber of people I have gotten to know over the past few months
here at the Air Station. The US Coast Guard is one great outfit!

Throughout my project that involved aerial survey with a Hasselblad pointed
straight down, I have also taken a very liberal amount of Leica photos,
given some prints to the base and presented a couple of slide shows. Now it
looks like I'll be taking a lot more!

Today we flew a half hour up the coast to Crescent City harbor, circled the
Cutter Dorado a few times, then landed in the parking lot next to the boat
station house. A young crew of eleven was excited to get a helicopter visit,
and I got to watch and photograph air and boat crews having a fine time
together as we toured the brand new 87 foot boat and ate a delicious lunch
in the galley.

Tomorrow we fly down to Fort Bragg to take some more boat pictures at the
Noyo River station, then Thursday evening, I'm heading out from Eureka on
the Cutter Barracuda (the very first boat commissioned in the new 87 foot
class), for night time helicopter hoist training. We'll be leaving Humboldt
Bay about sunset into open ocean for the night operation. I'm still trying
to figure which film to use for this one!

The object of all these photos is a Navy League conference being held in
Eureka on Sept 18 for the entire West Coast. The commander and I will be
making a slide presentation of Group Humboldt Bay, its crews and assets. Of
course, all the photos were taken with Leicas!

Today, I used M6, M3 and CL with 21 Elmarit, 35 Summicron, 50 Summilux and
90 Elmarit. I really like the 21 on the CL, which was especially handy for
boat interiors. For better depth of field, I tried some bounce flash on a
few shots - it was nice of the Coast Guard to paint most inside surfaces
white. In the air, I sure wish the newer lenses had the old infinity locks.
An embarrassing amount of fuzzy photos testifies to how easy it is to bump
the focus ring while in the air. I now tape them all on infinity.

Anyway, other than the Coast Guard, I couldn't think of a finer group to
tell about where life with Leicas has taken me. The LUG has been a part of
the whole photo experience over the past couple years, altho I haven't
posted to the LUG as often as I would like.  Blame it on Ted - I'm taking
his advice and obviously taking a lot more photos lately!

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger