Subject: [Leica] Another Leica story.
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:58:37 EDT

When I was about 12, my father knew a very elderly, extremely wealthy and
*very* eccentric gentleman who had no family, drove a 40 year-old (at that
time) Packard and owned a huge house which was full of relics of all sorts:
Boxes full of new shirts still in the wrapping, rows of brand-new shoes,
piles of unopened mail on the kitchen table with unknown numbers of uncashed
dividend checks therein--you get the picture.  Included was a set of Leicas,
2 IIIg bodies and six lenses including a *screwmount* 35 Summicron and
screw-thread *rigid* 50 Summicron.  These were still in their boxes and had
not been used once.  The gentleman's eyesight was failing and he knew I was
into photography so he gave the set to my father to let me examine, and said
if I wanted it he'd sell it to me.  Well, my father figured that rich as the
old fellow was, he meant to basically let me just keep it or maybe ask a few
bucks for it just for goodwill, so after I'd had the Leicas for a couple
months and was hopelessly in love with it, my father asked the man how much
he wanted.  The reply was a figure slightly in excess of what a new (at that
time) kit would have cost, so my father politely but hurriedly returned the
Leicas to his acquaintance.  Six months later while the fellow was out
shopping,  his house (Leicas and all) burned to the ground.

But, in the spirit of "good-things-come-to-those-who-wait", about a year
later I inherited a set of LTM Leicas from a family friend (not as
"collectible" as the first set but of course that wasn't much of a passtime
back then) and I have that kit to this day.   (I also still have my first set
of Nikons which a friend  purchased for me in Tokyo on R&R near the end of
the Vitenam war.  The box containing the brand-new FTn, F2 and 7 lenses
arrived stateside about a month after the box containing his body.  Wouldn't
trade those Nikons for Leicas.)

DT