Subject: Re: [Leica] To sell or not to sell
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:14:03 -0400

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I am in the exact same situation as you. My Nikons just sit there month
after
> month. It is not worth selling them you can't get anything for them and
until I
> get a second body, a 24 and probably a Visoflex III I feel like I have it
as a
> back up. They shoot pictures. They're fine. The 105 macro is nice. I am
trying
> not to let them dry up or leak batteries. They have sentimental value.
I've used
> them for 20 years.
> Shooting a Viso will be an entirely different experience than shooting a
Nikon.
> The only way we will find out if we like it is if we try it. I don't think
there
> is a "work as well" it's personal preferance.

    I'm also in the same situation except that I've recently obtained a
Visoflex II and Bellows. The Visoflex is great for closeups and telephoto
use though it is not up to Nikon speeds for fast action shooting. What it
does it is a terrific solution. The 65 Elmar is the shortest lens that
allows infinity focus on the Viso (it adds a significant distance between
the camera mount and the lens mount which is handled by its own set of
adapters and helical focussing devices to allow infinity focussing). The
Telyt's (V series) are made for Viso use. For bellows work, the M6's meter
is particularly helpful.

    Where the M + Viso lacks is in the area of rapid action photography. For
this I still use my EOS system. The 100mm EF Macro is quite impressive
(sharp) at a very reasonable price. The new Canon 300/2.8 L with optical
image stabilization is very tempting ...

     I find these two systems are very complementary.

Jonathan Borden