Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V11 #33
From: "Robert L Jones" <rjones4@home.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 08:20:27 -0700

- --MS_Mac_OE_3019105227_349614_MIME_Part

Speaking of an M7 (Ignoring the hoax aspect), I'd like to make a couple of
comments.

I'm relatively new the this group, so I don't know what's been said as far
as wish lists go, but being on the older side of 40 and having somewhat
presbyopic eyes, I'd like to see specific aids on an M7.

I would like to see the incorporation a focusing assist LED. Certainly the
technology is available for what would amount to a partial autofocus system.
The sensor for the focus detection would work through the lens in parallel
with the exposure meter. This system would function without the motors and
accompanying weight, cost, mount/lens redesign, and aesthetic changes that a
full-fledged auto-focus system would demand. This focus-assist system would
ideally run in parallel with the range finder focusing system currently used
in the M6 (and could be ignored).

Such a focus-assist system would maintain full use of all M-series lenses,
nor require any changes in lens mount as would be needed in a fully
autofocus system like the G1/G2. I would hope the dimensions and overall
design would be like the present M6 body. This focus-assist system would
also be quiet. All the user would see is an indicator LED in the viewfinder
showing proper focus. Another benefit of such a system would be greater
accuracy of focus for telephoto and wide aperture lenses, especially at
closer distances. In addition, the magnification of the viewfinder would be
less important allowing Leica to standardize on one magnification, reducing
costs and stocking requirements. (Possibly two bodies could be offered: one
only with electronic focusing (no rangefinder device might make this body
less expensive) and one with both.)

Now, obviously I am not an engineer, so perhaps my ideas are too difficult
to implement. But as one more suggestion, I would think if possible, such a
system could also be used in an R-series body, thus lowering the effective
cost of development.

I don't believe such a system is heretic with the M-series format. It would
rather offer an evolutionary step in the M-lineage. Any comments from the
rest of you LUGgers?

Robert Jones

- --MS_Mac_OE_3019105227_349614_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V11 #33</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2">Speaking of an M7 (Ignoring the hoax aspect), I'=
d like to make a couple of comments.<BR>
<BR>
I'm relatively new the this group, so I don't know what's been said as far =
as wish lists go, but being on the older side of 40 and having somewhat pres=
byopic eyes, I'd like to see specific aids on an M7. <BR>
<BR>
I would like to see the incorporation a focusing assist LED. Certainly the =
technology is available for what would amount to a partial autofocus system.=
 The sensor for the focus detection would work through the lens in parallel =
with the exposure meter. This system would function without the motors and a=
ccompanying weight, cost, mount/lens redesign, and aesthetic changes that a =
full-fledged auto-focus system would demand. This focus-assist system would =
ideally run in parallel with the range finder focusing system currently used=
 in the M6 (and could be ignored). <BR>
<BR>
Such a focus-assist system would maintain full use of all M-series lenses, =
nor require any changes in lens mount as would be needed in a fully autofocu=
s system like the G1/G2. I would hope the dimensions and overall design woul=
d be like the present M6 body. This focus-assist system would also be quiet.=
 All the user would see is an indicator LED in the viewfinder showing proper=
 focus. Another benefit of such a system would be greater accuracy of focus =
for telephoto and wide aperture lenses, especially at closer distances. In a=
ddition, the magnification of the viewfinder would be less important allowin=
g Leica to standardize on one magnification, reducing costs and stocking req=
uirements. (Possibly two bodies could be offered: one only with electronic f=
ocusing (no rangefinder device might make this body less expensive) and one =
with both.)<BR>
<BR>
Now, obviously I am not an engineer, so perhaps my ideas are too difficult =
to implement. But as one more suggestion, I would think if possible, such a =
system could also be used in an R-series body, thus lowering the effective c=
ost of development.<BR>
<BR>
I don't believe such a system is heretic with the M-series format. It would=
 rather offer an evolutionary step in the M-lineage. Any comments from the r=
est of you LUGgers?<BR>
<BR>
Robert Jones<BR>
</FONT><TT><BR>
</TT></BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

- --MS_Mac_OE_3019105227_349614_MIME_Part--