Subject: Re: [Leica] R4 and 35-70
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 02:47:59 GMT

Robbe, the value of the camera has a lot to do with its serial number.  If
it is over 1600000 it is worth more.  This was the start of a new
manufacturing run that included some useful upgrades to reliability.

Make sure that the metering is consistent in all modes.  These cameras are
usually fine in the Manual and Spot settings, but freak out when set to the
full field metering.

That said, my older R4 has been quite good, and in really nice shape with a
mint Canadian 50 summicron it was 499.00

As for the lens, it is a zoom, so it really won't match the fixed lenses
performance (unless it is one of the newest ASPH).  Buy the pair and if you
don't like the zoom trade it for a couple of fixed focals, or the newest
35-70 f4.

Best Wishes
Dan States
Chicago Ill.