Subject: Re: [Leica] Slightly OT- More eBay idiocy!
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 17:37:54 +0000

Bill Rosauer  wrote:
>I do know the identity of the seller of the 15 Heliar on e-bay for $610.  He
>also had a bid for $605 for the same item.  He feels that if someone wants
>pay a premium for a hard to get lens, then that is the buyer's prerogative.
>No one twists their arms to bid.  After all, they're all grownups, right?
>Some may wonder why someone would pay a premium for an item advertised for
>less elsewhere.  The point is, the other dealers can't deliver. Some people
>will gladly pay a premium not to wait.  You might say, its capitalism at its
>best (or worst)!

It now appears that *impatience* is another moving force behind some of
ebays high prices.

I am told that one can get a Cosina body (aka Bessa-L), Heliar and Skopar
lenses with finders (marked Cosina instead of Voigtlander) in my part of
the woods for a total of ...... now brace yourself ... US$760.  You walk
into the shop and pick them up anytime.  If that's the case, I am not too
fussy about the brand name enough to cough up extra dollars if it's exactly
the same stuff.  It makes sense and saves money to do some homework.

Dan K.
      'It seems easier for one poor father to provide for five children, than
 for five rich children to provide for one poor father' - A Dutch proverb.