Subject: [Leica] Re: Depth of field... (more than you wanted to know)
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 03:39:37 +0000

Jim, and Paul-
"Infinity" has a more precise definition: when the lens-to-image distance is
equal to the focal length of the lens, the lens is said to be focused at
"infinity". Period. Light rays coming from an object infinitely far are
parallel and will be focused to a point. Light rays coming from nearer objects,
including alpha centauri, produce circles of confusion. If a lens manufacturer
claims infinity as a "few hundred meters", he means that objects a few hundred
meters away produce circles of confusion smaller than some given arbitrary size
(usually unspecified). The whole issue of DOF centers around what, for your
particular application, acceptable sharpness, etc. define to be the size limit
for circles of confusion for objects in the scene to be "in focus". Markings on
lens barrels are established by manufacturers to their own arbitrary standard,
which may, or may not meet your own needs.

If you visit my ftp outgoing directory ftp://lcl-imaging.com/outgoing you will
find four single page pdf's which might shed a little more light on the
subject. You might note that I didn't say much about how one might define the
circle size limits. That's an interesting subject all by itself.

- -Mike