Subject: Re: [Leica] Slightly OT- More eBay idiocy!
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 18:24:16 -0700

"Stewart, Alistair" wrote:

> OK guys,
>
>  I agree that sometimes ebay things get out of hand... but before you look
> at the following, ask yourself what you'd pay for a mint s/h last non-asph
> 35'cron? For eaxmple Bill Rosauer has (had?) a mintish chrome model on
> consignment (won't budge on price, aboslutely no warranty) for $1000.
>
> Dear dtonyroma and astewart@gigaweb.com,
>
> Item Title: LEICA 35MM SUMMICRON-MLENS BLK MINT W/BOX (Item #151952954)
>
>         Final price:            $750.55
>         Auction ended at:       08/30/99 20:40:36 PDT
>         Total number of bids:   9
>         Seller User ID:         dtonyroma
>         Seller E-mail:          dtony@mindspring.com
>         High-bidder User ID:            astewart@gigaweb.com
>         High-bidder E-mail:             astewart@gigaweb.com
>
> BLACK SUMMICRON-M 35MM LENS WITH SHADE AND BOX. SERIAL # 3453637. MINT
>      CONDITION. TOTALLY CLEAN. WILL INCLUDE SEVERAL B+W FILTERS.MY RESERVE
> IS $700
>      WILL EMAIL PHOTOS ON REQUEST. BUYER PAYS SHIPPING AND ANY ESCROW FEES
>      SHOULD PAYMENT GO THAT ROUTE. SATISFACTION GUARUNTEED.EMAIL WITH ANY
>      QUESTIONS..
>
> SO, if you know what you're prepared to pay (In my recently theft-assaulted
> world, very little; I'm trying to rebuild an outfit decimated by two thefts)
> and know the rules of of the game, you can score some good deals.
>
> Best of affordable light
>
> Alistair

Was this supposed to not piss me off?
Alistair I'm on your wavelength on a whole lot of issues from what I can recall
but this aint one of them? Why am I looking at all this Ebay crap? What is the
point? Mentioning Bill Rosauers name doesn't justify this and barely at all relates.
I appreciate and am almost envious that you are starting from scratch but your
Ebay mania I can more than live without.  I don't need to look at it and I don't
think it belongs here. It's a feeding frenzy vibe that I hope to heck it doesn't
start becoming a regular occurrence here on the LUG.
Any time I want Ebay it is only a mouse click away I'm sure I'll have no trouble
finding the Leica stuff.
Mark Rabiner