Subject: Re: [Leica] fb vs rc
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 11:52:34 -0700

Guy Bennett wrote:

> >A stack of Fiber prints are more impressive that a Stack of RC prints
> >that's for
> >sure.><Snip> lately i have been wondering about
> trying some of the less plasticky rc papers. for example, ilford makes
> several types of rc paper that don't necessarily have the look or feel of
> the super-plastic-proofsheet-type paper - stuff with a semi-matt finish
> dubbed 'pearl' or 'satin' or something like that.
>
> how do you feel about those papers? have you printed with them? what have
> you thought of the results you've gotten with them? does any one have a
> favorite non-plastic feeling re paper?
>
> guy

I've made thousands of "pearl" prints ever since it first came out. It was the
first surface which didn't scream "plastic". I did find the surface on Agfa
Brovira speed even more natural; a finer texture but no VC then. The idea being
to replicate in plastic the look of an air dried fiber glossy print. (unferrotyped)
They do that by embossing a fine texture into the plastic.
I ended up finding the Ilford Pearl to be very fustrating in the dry down area.
When you look at your prints again they are flatter and darker and less sharp...
But otherwise fine :)
So even though the glossy has an obvious RC look to it I use that when I have a
one hour deadline to make a print or for contacts or for a reprint from a client
whose checks have all bounced and whose fact I can barely stand to look at
appearing in the developer.
Mark Rabiner
Kodak's texture has always been exceedingly obvious in their E? surface.