Subject: Re: [Leica] leica mystique
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:18:12 -0500

At 09:48 AM 8/30/99 -0700, you wrote:

>Has anyone compared the below qualities between the two systems? I'm quite
>happy
>with the R's, and I've heard the R lenses are just as good and in some cases
>"better" than the M lenses, but I'm wondering about these qualities in
>particular.

That passage in not implying there is a superiority of M lenses to R
lenses, but between M and other manufacturer lenses. The only superiority
of M lenses at this point is the fact that the formulae on some M lenses is
quite a bit newer, such as the 24mm lenses. The R lens is quite old.

R lenses are just as good as M lenses. I use them both, and in some cases,
I'd say you couldn't tell the difference if you didn't notice focal length
differences. But that is unavoidable. So I guess the best way to put it is
that the lenses that Leica makes, no matter for which camera system, is
often best of breed, and share some family characteristics that make the
overall system a pleasure to use, and share some family characteristics.

He's right that sharpness is not one of those characteristics that makes
Leica unique.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Okay, who put a  stop payment  on my reality check?