Subject: Re: [Leica] 20mm Russar - has it been recomputed?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:09:41 -0400

At 10:25 AM 8/30/1999 -0000, Doug Richardson wrote:

>One reason I opted to use reversal film was that I wanted to check for
>vignetting. Marx James Small had written in an earlier posting that
>"As is endemic to the Topogon breed, it is a bit slow and suffers from
>about a one to one-and-a-half stop drop at the corners." Looking at
>the sky in the corners of the image I can see no reduction in
>brightness. I seem to recall Marc saying that the Russar had ben
>returned to production in the early 1990s. Given the absence of
>visible darkening in the corners of the frame, I wonder if 1990s
>production is with a recomputed version. Have other Russar users
>noticed vignetting, and if so what date is your lens?

I have some conflicting evidence on the heritage of this lens.  Most of my
sources describe it as a Topogon clone.  However, Wright and Wilkinson, in
their A LENS COLLECTOR'S VADE MECUM, describe it in detail as derived from
the LF Russar lens, an entirely different computation.  I am aware of the
conflict in authority, but I've not had time to pull mine out and see if I
can lock in the point without disassembling the lens.

I do know that mine, and all the others I have used, vignette a bit.  The
lens MAY have been recomputed, or this, conceivably, could be an artifact
of multi-coating if the vignetting is caused by internal reflections.  Mine
is not multi-coated, dating from '74.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!