Subject: [Leica] BLUE MOON! :(
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:21:54 -0700

Well OK gang you've heard it here first! :(

Sometimes no matter what.....you completely blow a shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(

It may have sounded sweeter than Mom's apple pie, it couldn't have been
more of a disaster than if I forgot to put film in the camera!

Look, for those who've done this picture taking thing for a very long time
and have a beautiful ...."how could you screw this up?" kinda shoot, you'll
appreciate how I feel and how these things happen. The rookies will say,
"Hell, if he's so great how come he blew it?"

EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But your not supposed to! The test roll from the
evening before was right on the mark for sky and moon exposurers, "no sweat
it'll be perfect!"

Then what do you do? Two major errors, tripod lock up using a second tripod
or monopod to completely stabilize the main tripod and lens.....this
eliminates any possibility of "shakies!"  And the stupidest of all? Change
the shooting method from the test evening! Why?    Who the hell knows!

The whole works came from the lab and in about 90 seconds on the light
table, were in the trash can!  With a screaming maniac photographer coming
off the walls like a lost banshee soul in hell!  You can't imagine what
it's like, unless you have done it, big time!!!! And it should've been
perfect!

We've all blown some frames at one time or another, but the whole damn shoot?

OK at Least I confessed, illustrating, no one is perfect, least of all me.
It's times like this that you ask yourself, "How the hell did you ever
manage to get this far as a photographer?"

At the moment this evening could just save it if the weather stays good.
It's this or wait until next month. And that's a bigger worry!  It's like
wondering if your girl friend is pregnant and you've got to wait 30 days! :)

I'll let you know how it goes this evening, damn it better be right or
you'll read my OB!

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant