Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: mindsets
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:44:29 -0700

Marc Rabiner wrote:

>A different mind set on the HUG huh? (Hasselblad Users Group)
>A real insult to the camera and photographers in general. Wedding
>photographers
>in general really are the bottom of the cesspool and this kind of stuff makes
>them worthy of the general disdain they get.
>
>"using shredding machines for negs?
>
>Yes, I use a shredder for my negatives.  It works fine.  I have a Royal
>cross-cut shreadder..it was around $250 or less.....but it shred 12 sheets
>at a time, and it easily paid for itself because I have a LOT of
>negatives....">>>>>>>

Hi Mark,

If I've read the post correctly, that is the "wedding folks shred their
negs once they've milked them for all they're worth?" Then destroy them!
Is that correct?

If so.  What a shame if that is the case, simply because those negatives
could very well be worth a tidy amount of income from the National Archives
in 50 or 60 years! Imagine if the wedding / portrait photogs of the 1800's
smashed all their negs?   Why, we wouldn't have any of those wonderful old
time images to appreciate today.

Every image we put on film, regardless of whom you are, is a record of the
times we live in, whatever the subject. Sure throw away/shred whatever,
those negs that are completely out of focus, but to deliberately destroy
perfect negatives for lack of storage space is beyond comprehension. And if
that's what the wedding photogs do with their milked dry images, they truly
are the bottom feeders.. However, well paid bottom feeders!

But truly stupid to shred their negatives!  If that is the case.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant